What does Blackpool sound like in 2011?

Posted on Updated on

January 2012

What does Blackpool sound like in 2011? and The Shadow Inside are the result of a commission by The Grundy Art Gallery to create a soundtrack that represents Blackpool culture in 2011.

Over 5 days in November and December, I worked with three community groups to capture sound recordings, including interviews with residents, shop owners, the sound of the pier, arcades, music, the zoo, the market and much more.

The Shadow Inside is a piece written by Barry McCann. It was recorded at the highest point in the Grundy Art Gallery.

Both soundtracks will be exhibited for the public in March 2012, venue TBC.

Listen to What does Blackpool sound like in 2011? 6.38 mins

The Shadow Inside, 1.41 mins

About these ads

6 thoughts on “What does Blackpool sound like in 2011?

Ian said:
    January 15, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Heya talking of Blackpool and birds, did you know there’s a big pigeon show there next weekend? I think project pigeon are going to be there too. Hope to see you all there!

Lucy Stevens responded:
      January 15, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Yes I know, I really want to go but I’m not sure if my car is up for the trip! Fingers and toes crossed! If I do I’m not sure I can resist buying a pigeon this time!

Stephanie said:
      June 2, 2012 at 12:53 am

Great arltice, thank you again for writing.

mccannb01 said:
    January 28, 2012 at 10:57 am

Hi Lucy. Really delighted with what you have done with The Shadow Inside, thank you.

I remember you showed and interest in the Shozam festival coming up in February. The hub of the event is Showzam Central in the Winter Gardens, which is a re creation of the old side shows (The Headless Lady, Girl in a Fishbowl, etc) using actors. Posted link below. Could be a recording oppertunity. Let me know if you are interested or able to pop up and I will put you in touch with the organiser, Vanessa. You may need permission to record.

Kathy Rowan-Drewitt said:
    January 31, 2012 at 8:46 am

What an interesting way of experiencing Blackpool! The recording really paints a picture of the seafront in sounds…. and fabulous story by Barry McCann! thanks to everyone who was involved in this project :0) x

HG said:
    February 10, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Excellent story by Barry McCann – very atmospheric – enjoyed the soundscape as well.